Group Projects: Think outside the box! Work together in small groups of 2-4 to discuss these problems and answer any specific questions. Hand in one set of answers with all of your names.
Individual Quizzes: Review and master recent material. Work individually to answer these short answer and essay questions. You may use your notes.
|DAY||DATE||PROJECTS & QUIZZES|
|M||June 30||Project 1 : Folk Psychology|
|T||July 1||NO QUIZ|
|Th||July 3||Project 2 : Atlas of Cross Sections|
|F||July 4||NO QUIZ|
|M||July 7||Project 3 : Hypothalamus & Pituitary|
|T||July 8||Quiz 1 : Hypothalamus|
|Th||July 10||Project 4 : Cerebral Cortex|
|F||July 11||Quiz 2 : Cerebral Cortex|
|M||July 14||Project 5|
|T||July 15||Quiz 3|
|Th||July 17||Project 6|
|F||July 18||Quiz 4|
|M||July 21||Project 7|
|T||July 22||Quiz 5|
|Th||July 24||Project 8|
|F||July 25||Quiz 6|
|M||July 28||Project 9|
|Th||July 31||Project 10|
|F||August 1||NO QUIZ|
ContactLocation: Dunning 205
Meetings: MTThF 10:00 AM-12:30 PM
Instructor: Edward Hedgecock
Phone (office): (410) 516-8761 Phone (lab): (410) 516-8381
Email: emh at jhu.edu
- About this Class
- Projects & Quizzes
- Project 01 : Folk Psychology
- Project 02 : Atlas of Cross Sections
- Project 03 : Hypothalamus & Pituitary
- Project 04 : Cerebral Cortex
- Project 05 : Thalamus
- Project 06 : Basal Ganglia
- Project 07 : Limbic System
- Project 08 : Gross Neuroanatomy
- Project 09 : Atlas of Nissl Sections
- Project 10 : ISH Database
- Quiz 01 : Hypothalamus, Pituitary & ANS [Bear 15 & 16]
- Quiz 02 : Cerebral Cortex [Bear 7; Lecture 6]
- Quiz 03 : Thalamus
- Quiz 04 : Basal Ganglia
- Quiz 05 : Brain Control of Movement [Bear 14; Lecture 9]
- Quiz 06 : Cerebellum [Bear 14, 25]
- Films & Demos
- Term Paper
Brain AtlasesUseful links to neuroanatomy and gene expression maps of mouse and human brain are found under Brain Atlases.
Password 020312 opens a collection of Neuroscience Images under Study Aides.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Unconventional gene regulation in the CNS
- Sleep aromatherapy curbs conditioned fear
- Best-laid schemes for interneuron origin of mice and men
- Adolescent dopamine slows spine maturation
- One in a thousand: defining the limits of olfactory perception
- Deciphering the functions and regulation of brain-enriched A-to-I RNA editing
- Maintaining genome stability in the nervous system
- The translation of translational control by FMRP: therapeutic targets for FXS
- mTOR complexes in neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric disorders
- Emerging roles for post-transcriptional regulation in circadian clocks
- Category-specific integration of homeostatic signals in caudal but not rostral human insula
- Stimulus-specific enhancement of fear extinction during slow-wave sleep
- TAG-1–assisted progenitor elongation streamlines nuclear migration to optimize subapical crowding
- Transcriptional repression of Bmp2 by p21Waf1/Cip1 links quiescence to neural stem cell maintenance
- Non-epithelial stem cells and cortical interneuron production in the human ganglionic eminences
- Subcortical origins of human and monkey neocortical interneurons
- Dual origins of functionally distinct O-LM interneurons revealed by differential 5-HT3AR expression
- Neuroprotection and lifespan extension in Ppt1−/− mice by NtBuHA: therapeutic implications for INCL
- A new type of microglia gene targeting shows TAK1 to be pivotal in CNS autoimmune inflammation
- Age-dependent regulation of synaptic connections by dopamine D2 receptors
- Dendrites: Dendritic processors
- Psychiatric disorders: Creating ripples
- Cellular neuroscience: Prion prevention
- Behaviour: To eat or not to eat?
- Cellular neuroscience: Merging membranes
- Neurological disorders: Eaten alive!
- Sleep: Sleep: not such a waste
- Cerebral cortex: Sizing up the columns
- Neural development: Tracing interneuron roots
- Cell fate: The patterns of fate
- Pain: A wandering brain reduces pain?
- Synaptic transmission: Releasing the brakes
- Synaptic plasticity: Balancing firing rates in vivo
- Neurodegeneration: Search and rescue
- Neurogenetics: Expression restrictions
- Neuroimaging: More precise MRI
- Temporal fate specification and neural progenitor competence during development
- AMPA-silent synapses in brain development and pathology
- Hepatic encephalopathy: effects of liver failure on brain function
- The neural basis of humour processing
- Effects of Emotion and Emotional Valence on the Neural Correlates of Episodic Memory Search and Elaboration
- Seeing without Knowing: Neural Signatures of Perceptual Inference in the Absence of Report
- Conceptual and Data-based Investigation of Genetic Influences and Brain Asymmetry: A Twin Study of Multiple Structural Phenotypes
- Neural Correlates of State- and Strength-based Perceptions
- Functional Connectivity Relationships Predict Similarities in Task Activation and Pattern Information during Associative Memory Encoding
- Audiovisual Speech Integration Does Not Rely on the Motor System: Evidence from Articulatory Suppression, the McGurk Effect, and fMRI
- Representation, Control, or Reasoning? Distinct Functions for Theory of Mind within the Medial Prefrontal Cortex
- Age-related and Genetic Modulation of Frontal Cortex Efficiency
- The Role of the Cerebellum in Dynamic Changes of the Sense of Body Ownership: A Study in Patients with Cerebellar Degeneration
- Medial Prefrontal Theta Oscillations Track the Time Course of Interference during Selective Memory Retrieval
- Acoustic Noise Improves Visual Perception and Modulates Occipital Oscillatory States
- Magnetoencephalographic Activity Related to Conscious Perception Is Stable within Individuals across Years but Not between Individuals
- Age Group and Individual Differences in Attentional Orienting Dissociate Neural Mechanisms of Encoding and Maintenance in Visual STM
- Early Musical Training Is Linked to Gray Matter Structure in the Ventral Premotor Cortex and Auditory–Motor Rhythm Synchronization Performance
- Monocular Advantage for Face Perception Implicates Subcortical Mechanisms in Adult Humans
- Frontal Theta Oscillatory Activity Is a Common Mechanism for the Computation of Unexpected Outcomes and Learning Rate
- Selective Development of Anticorrelated Networks in the Intrinsic Functional Organization of the Human Brain
- Different Brains Process Numbers Differently: Structural Bases of Individual Differences in Spatial and Nonspatial Number Representations
- N-methyl-d-aspartate Receptor Antagonist Ketamine Impairs Action-monitoring Activity in the Prefrontal Cortex
- Learning to Read an Alphabet of Human Faces Produces Left-lateralized Training Effects in the Fusiform Gyrus
- Executive functions are employed to process episodic and relational memories in children with autism spectrum disorders.
- Visual short-term store can compensate for a defective phonological short-term store in patients with apraxia of speech.
- Aerobic fitness and the attentional blink in preadolescent children.
- Estimating the passage of minutes: Deviant oscillatory frontal activity in medicated and unmedicated ADHD.
- Effects of interactive metronome therapy on cognitive functioning after blast-related brain injury: A randomized controlled pilot trial.
- Meeting an “impossible challenge” in semantic dementia: Outstanding performance in numerical Sudoku and quantitative number knowledge.
- Is emotional memory enhancement preserved in amnestic mild cognitive impairment? Evidence from separating recollection and familiarity.
- Correction to "Brain white matter tract integrity and cognitive abilities in community-dwelling older people: The Lothian Birth Cohort, 1936”.
- Verbal irony comprehension in older adults with amnestic mild cognitive impairment.
- Neuropsychological deficits associated with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure are not exacerbated by ADHD.
- Abnormal attentional internetwork link in dyslexic readers.
- A quantitative evolutionary theory of adaptive behavior dynamics.
- A role for the developing lexicon in phonetic category acquisition.
- Knowledge matters: How children evaluate the reliability of testimony as a process of rational inference.
- Sensory optimization by stochastic tuning.
- A nonparametric Bayesian framework for constructing flexible feature representations.
- Putting retrieval-induced forgetting in context: An inhibition-free, context-based account.
- Discrete-slots models of visual working-memory response times.
- Correction to Smith and Sewell (2013).
- How do PDP models learn quasiregularity?